Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Oh Cedarwood...

First things first: I thought I would jump around and give some background on what essential oils are. They are the volatile liquid that is within many plants, flowers, trees, roots and seeds and is usually extracted through steam distillation.  An essential oil is highly complex and may consist of hundreds of different and unique chemical compounds. Because they are so concentrated, they are much more potent than dried herbs or the plant itself. This is just one reason why essential oils pack a powerful punch of therapeutic benefit.


More and more studies are coming out with the benefits of aromatherapy (simply smelling an essential oil) on the immune system, repairing damage at a cellular level. It's pretty amazing!

As I referred to in my previous post, research has shown that fragrance can have a powerful effect on the brain, most notably, the hypothalamus (hormone command center of the brain) and the limbic system (seat of emotions). Cedarwood is one of the oils high in sequesterines, which significantly increases oxygenation and activity to the brain and may directly improve the function of many systems of the body. Oxygenation to the brain is important for almost every mental process.

Some basics about cedarwood: It has antibacterial properties and is known as a lymphatic stimulant. It stimulates the limbic region of the brain (center of emotional processing), as well as stimulates the pineal gland, releasing melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone that induces sleep. Sleep is essential for getting rid of cortisol (stress hormone), producing neurotransmitters as well as proper immune function. It is an antioxident as well which means that it is useful in preventing oxidative stress.


I'm going to focus this post mainly on its effect on the production of melatonin, which is what we purchased it for. Melatonin is produced by serotonin. Serotonin (among other "happy" transmitters) gets depleted by exposure to stress. Who doesn't have stress??! I have yet to meet one person. At any rate, depletion of serotonin means depletion of melatonin which leads to lack of restorative sleep, disruption of hormones and the inability to get rid of cortisol, thus perpetuating the whole cycle.

My husband has been experiencing an inordinate amount of work related stress, and some mild depression due to the stress and physical exhaustion. I began researching various essential oils and which ones might benefit him the most and we decided to give cedarwood oil a try. It does seem to be boosting his mood!

At first, I didn't love the smell, but let me tell you, it's growing on me! I bought him a little car diffuser so he could enjoy the benefits on the way to and from work, I diluted it with some olive oil for him to use on his dry skin and also to apply to the Vita Flex (reflex) points that correlate to the brain for added benefit.

As I began reading more about  the oil, I thought maybe we could try it with our almost 5 year old, very high energy child. She has trouble shutting down at night and falling asleep, and also seems to have trouble sitting still during the day, needs a lot of stimulation, etc. With the knowledge in hand of how cedarwood benefits the limbic system, I figured it can't hurt anything. So, for her, I apply it to the tip of her big toes, the bottom of her feet, the inside of her thumbs (brain reflex points), and the back of her neck as well as diffusing it in her room along with lavender at night. It does seem to be calming and grounding her.


I'm diffusing it in the car now, for those special car rides where I'm trapped inside with a grumpy preschooler and crying baby. It definitely has added a new level of calm to my day.

To learn more about ordering your own essential oils, click

No comments:

Post a Comment